While at Cisco Live we recorded a detailed video discussion on Cisco’s SDN Strategy and the OnePK announcement. Representing Cisco is Omar Sultan and facing him down is Derick Winkworth, Russ White and the usual crew. This isn’t a presentation, it’s a live discussion recorded just after the announcement and gauges our reaction to the technology and it’s impact on networking. Informal, nerdy and detailed – just the way we like it.
This is part of the Packet Pushers Virtual Symposium series with TechField Day and is sponsored by Cisco.
This wide-ranging discussion touched on the following topics:
- Contrasting Cisco’s ONE strategy with SDN and OpenFlow in general
- APIs, OpenFlow, and XML
- What will people do with SDN in the future?
- Distributed and autonomous versus centralized
- Standards: IEEE vs. IETF, de facto and interoperability
- VXLAN and the Nexus 1000V – Is 1000V SDN?
- Operational and organizational impacts
- Systems engineering
- Thinking of networks as flows
The conversation will continue in July with two more “Virtual Symposium” discussions with Cisco. We will cover Network Programmability and Virtual Machine Networking.