PR folks, many of you send us pitches containing earned news. However, we’re neither a traditional media organization nor a news reporting organization.
Packet Pushers Interactive is more like an analyst firm. We carefully curate technology news for our audience and add a healthy dose of perspective based on our careers in technology and journalism. That’s what our audience expects from us.
Here’s what you should know when sending pitches.
Technologies Covered By Packet Pushers
Packet Pushers’ focus is on Enterprise IT. We cover technology from a practitioner perspective. We like to explain to our audience what it is, how it works, and why they should care.
We are interested in the following areas:
- Networking – all types.
- Cloud–Public, Private, Hybrid
- Data Center & SDN
- WAN & SD-WAN
- IoT for the enterprise (no consumer gadgets)
What We Look For In Your Pitches
Packet Pushers looks for interesting technology that advances a product in a significant way or solves a problem. We want to communicate this sort of tech to our audience of senior engineers. In particular we are interested in:
- Companies emerging from stealth
- New product releases
- Technology deep-dives
Pitches We Will Probably Ignore
We are unlikely to cover the following sorts of pitches, as they don’t move the needle for our hands-on audience:
- Executive moves or hires
- Honors bestowed upon a product
- Customer acquisitions
- New vendor surveys or reports published
- Consumer-related products (gadgets, apps, etc.)
- Unsolicited articles and blog posts
Where We’ll Cover Your Client
There are three major venues your pitch or briefing will impact Packet Pushers media properties:
- The Network Break podcast. This show is published weekly and covers the IT industry broadly, with a special focus on the networking industry specifically.
- Our News feed, seen on the front page of PacketPushers.net.
- The rest of the podcasts in our network. The briefings we take are used to inform all of the podcast co-hosts across our network. If we don’t know about your client or their news, we can’t talk about them.
Our Coverage History
If you’re wondering if we’d be interested in your pitch, here are the archives of past blogs and news items we’ve written. This might give you some insight about our coverage interests.
Our View On Timeliness And Exclusivity
Packet Pushers doesn’t compete with other media organizations for breaking stories or exclusive coverage. We don’t fret about whether our coverage of a story will rise to the top of Google rankings. Our business is not defined by page views, clicks, or banner ad impressions.
Instead, we have a dedicated, discerning audience that cares about information on a deeper level. The deep perspective we bring is neither heightened nor diminished by publishing as soon as an embargo lifts. While we might publish in such a fashion, we do not prioritize it. We’ll always take the time to tell the story in a way we believe will benefit our audience.