This is a continuation of the sponsored series of shows we recorded at the HP Discover Barcelona conference in December 2014.
An interesting facet of HP Discover to me was meeting smart HP folks at random. Sue Darte is such a person I was lucky enough to bump into. Here’s the story. While waiting to record a different scheduled podcast, I found myself over at one of the HP Networking displays, ogling a “no fooling around” chassis router. It was an HP MSR4000 sitting on a turntable. I’d never seen this box before (hadn’t even known it existed), and I was spinning it around, trying to get a handle on what this thing was and surmise what it might be able to do. Enter Sue, who sees me looking the MSR over, and starts up a conversation.
Sue knows her MSRs cold. She’s the best sort of Technical Marketing Engineer — knows the product, what it can do, what it can’t do, and how to make the best use of it in a network architecture. Next thing Sue knows, she’s agreeing to sit at a microphone to record a conversation about the MSRs for the Packet Pushers audience. Enjoy this show, where Sue (with no prior knowledge that the recording was going to happen), talks to us along with Chris Young.
We don’t just talk about the MSR hardware. We also discuss deployment options for the MSR, including zero-touch provisioning using HP’s IMC management platform with the VIMS module. This allows you to ship a configless MSR with nothing more than a USB dongle out to a remote site. Your remote hands stuff in the USB stick, and power up the MSR. The USB stick contains enough information for the MSR to phone home, connect with VIMS, and get its configuration. VIMS knows what configuration to send based on the MSR’s serial number, so there’s no risk of the MSR getting the wrong configuration due to, say, an IP address change.
Links from HP
- Networking – The main gateway to all HP Networking solutions information.
- SDN Solutions – An end-to-end solution to automate the network from data center to campus and branch.
- SDN App Store – Discover, learn and download SDN applications and solve the transition to the new style of IT.
- Network Virtualization Solutions – A completely new operational model for networking that breaks through current physical network barriers allowing data center operators to achieve order of magnitude better speed, economics and choice.
- CTO Mark Pearson and VMware’s Scott Lowe discussing the VMware-HP software-defined network (SDN) solution
- HP-VMware Technical demo
- HP-VMware Technical White Paper
- HP Unified Wired and Wireless Solutions – a single optimized and scalable unified network for secure and consistent access to business critical applications.
- IMC – a comprehensive wired and wireless network management tool.
- Wireless – a secure and reliable network that unifies access, scales as needed, and optimizes your wireless performance to handle a growing number of mobile devices.
- OpenStack & Helion – boosts your organization’s productivity, so you can make the most of your IT budget and give your developers the power to deploy new applications faster than ever.