On today’s show, sponsored by VMware, we talk to a VMware NSX customer to get their real-life experiences with the technology. And just to make it more interesting, this customer also uses Cisco ACI, which we’ll get into.
Our guests come from the Hutto Independent School District. Based in Hutto, TX, the district has over 6,000 K-12 students on 8 campuses.
We talk about why Hutto went down the path of choosing NSX, how the technology supports Hutto’s VDI implementation, the business aspects of the decision to go with NSX, how they deployed NSX themselves, and more.
Joining Greg and Ethan are Travis L Brown, Director of Technology; Keith Reynolds, Network Administrator; and Christopher Harding, Network Administrator.
- What you are you looking for from NSX in the future?
- What did NSX bring to your environment that you did not expect?
- How has NSX impacted your operational flow?
- With NSX installed, did you use it as anticipated?
- How did the installation process go? Did you do it yourself, or outsource?
- What problems were you trying to solve with NSX?
- Give us an overview of your network and user population
- Active/Active DHCP cluster design behind NSX load balancer
- Adding manageability to your VDI environment – broadcast suppression feature
- Cisco ACI – needed to replace old gear, looked at 9K with ACI fabric spread over multiple locations “ACI as DCI” (leaf-spine spread over 2 locations, 160Gbps between, NSX over the top)
- Deployment time for actual networking
- Future of DC architecture (distributed, no DR, etc.)