Arista is shipping a serious round of upgrades for the 7500 switch chassis. In this sponsored podcast, Doug Gourlay from Arista returns
to the Packet Pushers to give an unvarnished view of the new products and why Arista can deliver 100GbE at a new price point while maintaining technical features and capabilities.
1) It’s big… and dense… and power efficient…
2) The 7500 is really fast and wire speed forwarding and needs just 11RU of space in the rack.
3) How did Arista scale the control plane ?
4) Martin Hull - Systems Engineering Manager talks about the need for buffering in the spine
5) Economics of 100GbE versus 40GbE and 10GbE - why is 100Gb cheaper…
6) How this changes network architectures – what we are likely to see from network architects as they use this product ?
7) It is real – it is not “slideware”, it’s orderable today, it’s running on customer sites today and shipping in “weeks” (not months).
Speed and Feeds
The Arista 7500E offers 1,152 10GbE, 288 40GbE, or 96 100GbE wire-speed ports, making the Arista 7500E the fastest and most scalable data center Ethernet switch in the industry. The key improvements of the Arista 7500E compared to the first generation Arista 7500 are as follows:
- Three times the fabric bandwidth at 30 Terabits per second
- Three times the packet buffer at 144 Gigabyte per switch
- Three times the control plane performance
- Triple the power efficiency at less than 4 watts per 10GbE port
- The industry’s first triple-speed 10/40/100GbE line card
- Much larger L2 and L3 Table Sizes
- Wirespeed VXLAN capability on every port
The Arista 7500E includes four new line cards for 10/40/100 Gigabit Ethernet switching, including an industry-first triple-speed 10/40/100G line card with integrated MXP (multi-speed-port) optics that can be software configured on a per port basis delivering constant price-per-bandwidth at every port speed. In 100GbE mode the triple-speed line card offers an order-of-magnitude cost reduction over competing 100Gb Ethernet switch products in the market.
Arista EOS Software
The Arista 7500E together with Arista EOS, delivers a set of advanced Software Defined Networking capabilities that support programmatic control, enhanced monitoring, and self-healing resilience to every aspect of the switch, including the following:
- Wirespeed VXLAN gateways that enable multi-tenant network virtualization
- Precise advanced traffic monitoring with Arista LANZ, DANZ and Tap Aggregation
- Rapid Automated Indication of Link-Loss (RAIL) for accelerated convergence in Big Data analytics and Hadoop applications
- VM Tracer for network wide workload mobility and virtualization in VMware and OpenStack clouds
- Distributed system health monitoring with real-time Health Tracer
Cloud networks have universally adopted a leaf-spine architecture, using Layer-3 load-balancing to provide scalable performance. With the Arista 7500E as the spine and Arista 7150/7050 as the leaf, these network topologies can support cloud data centers with more than 100,000 servers that deliver consistent performance for dynamically scaling workloads in public or private clouds, including Hadoop, Big Data, storage, Web 2.0, VM farms, and network virtualization.
Full press release - http://www.aristanetworks.com/en/news/pressrelease/568-pr-20130501-01
Founder Andy Bechtolsheim’s latest blog, “The Next Generation in Cloud-Scale Networking: The Arista 7500E” - http://www.aristanetworks.com/en/blogs/?p=845
7500E Series Video Overview - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KewtombE57M
7500E Video Data Sheet - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JI3ZPLDPF3g
SDN Video Overview - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jlch6UKJP3w