A visual representation of the company and, to a lesser extent, product history of the load balancing/application delivery field. My usual F5 bias is present but it seems justified considering their long-held market leading position.
I’ve been itching to post this for a while but simply couldn’t stop changing the formatting. I can’t say I’m too happy with it even now but I think it does the job and provides a good overview of the field from past till present.
You’ll note there are some interesting clusters;
- There’s a huge amount of companies being founded or going public between 1995 – 2000
- Cisco and Citrix are clearly the ‘beasts’ in this field, perhaps due to their ‘early start’
- F5 Seems to have been well motivated by the crashes of the early 2000’s to release major features
- There is much acquisition activity in the mid to late 2000’s
- Lots of product withdrawals in the late 2000’s
I’m hoping to do another infographic (sometime soon), more focussed on leading vendor product features. This will hopefully highlight the wider trends in the network industry in the last decade or so. Let me know if you’d be interesting.
As always, right click and pick an option as appropriate to view or download in its full size and glory.