We announced yesterday an additional podcast feed called “Priority Queue“. The purpose of the new show is to let us do several things:
- Release more content. Sometimes we want to publish more than once per week.
- Event coverage. Packet Pushers will likely be attending more events such as Cisco Live 2012 and Interop this year. We need space to publish more shows as part of our commitment to these events.
- Try out new ideas and content formats and check with the audience to see if it works.
- Publish shows from the community. Maybe you have something that you want to say? We can share that with our audience. 1
- Publish content that might have limited audience or smaller appeal. This will let us attack more niche topics that only a few people care about – like Voice over IP. 🙂
- Content Floods. We know that it’s important to release content regularly, but we might dump a whole bunch of shows into the Priority Queue in a single day.
I’m sure you get the idea. Priority Queue is a part of gradually moving Packet Pushers to being a self-sustaining business without losing the independence and core values of being nerdy, informational and light-hearted at the same time. We can’t predict how Priority Queue will work out, so stick with us while we try out new concepts & ideas.
To that end, we have created new artwork (first time in two years) and extra RSS feeds – here is a rundown of all of them.
Packet Pushers – Weekly Podcast
- This is the current podcast feed. The Weekly Show will continue as before with guests & regulars. We are hoping to have more roundtable discussions with the news of the day. (We haven’t had enough space lately to fit these in.)
Packet Pushers – Priority Queue
This is the Priority Queue Feed only. Having a separate feed to listen to occasional content makes sense. Not everyone wants to hear all the shows. This feed may get large amounts of content in a short time, or contain very niche content.
Packet Pushers – Full Podcast Feed
- This is a new Podcast feed that has the Weekly Show and Priority Queue combined. It’s podcast ONLY so it’s best for your favourite podcast client – Android being a classic example.
- If we add new shows in the future (and we have some planned) then they will be included in this feed as well as getting their own feed.
Packet Pushers – Blogs And Podcasts
The “Fire Hose”. Anything that gets posted to PacketPushers.net will appear in this feed including blogs, podcasts, and updates from any category, anywhere.
- Some people listen to the show from their RSS Reader plus read all the blog posts.
- Ignore the “Blog” in the URL – it’s a mistake on our part (and now it’s hard to fix).
PacketPushers.net – Networking Industry Jobs
- This is the blog or article only feed for Job Placement advertisements. Several recruitment companies are trialling this as a way to reach applicants and it’s a small revenue source for us.
PacketPushers.net – Blogs Only
- This is the all-blog or article feed for Blog Posts only. If you are subscribed to the Podcasts in iTunes, or only interested in reading the articles, then this is the best feed for your RSS Reader.
There are now three shows listed in iTunes and you can search for us as the Packet Pushers and pick the version that you like.
We don’t know much about other aggregators outside of iTunes, so if you know of somewhere else that we should be submitting our content then let us know at [email protected]
As always, remember that, too much networking would NEVER be enough.
- Subject to some sort of peer review process that we will work out later. ↩