- Edgecore is a wholly owned subsidiary of Accton
- Producing increasing diversity of network equipment, the range of possible applications of Broadcom silicon.
- Includes a optical solution
- the choice to focus on SP is interesting, does this imply that
- All of these products run IPinfusion software.
- Talking about the breadth of their portfolio
- There are market segments that have adopted merchant silicon namely the data centre while there are other market staying with black box.
- the variety of ASICs is somewhat bewildering
- eg. Trident 3 has five basic package offering
- jericho 2 has many options including the ability to interface to high speed memory to increase TCAM capacity
- Features in the ASIC have to be supported by the NOS
- NOS may emphasise some features over others and could create a diversity of solutions i.e. all NOSs are not equal
Why This Matters
- The open optical movement coming from the Telecom Infrastructure Project is targeted at two markets – telcos and DCI
- big market in data centre owners to have large amounts of bandwidth between data centres.
- talking about up to 1.6Tbps in increments of 100G is possible.