People love to disrupt things. Just look at today’s data center compared to only a few years ago! It’s a wild, changing world filled with spectacular opportunities for individuals who can float atop new ideas and pluck out the ones worth pursuing – especially when crossing technology silos to build really snazzy solutions.
This is, however, easier said than done. How do you break out of your comfort zone to find techniques to master and skills worth gaining?
Never fear, Datanautians: your hosts Chris Wahl and Ethan Banks talk with guest Matt Simmons about how and when to update skills. They’ll explore a few of the tools and technologies worth getting comfortable with, and offer informed speculation on future roles for subject matter experts and Jacks-of-all-trades alike.
You can find Matt Simmons’ blog at Standalone Sysadmin.
This episode of Datanauts is brought to you by ITProTV. Enhance your technology aptitude. ITProTV is the resource to keep your I.T. skills up to date, with engaging and informative video tutorials. For a free 7day trial and 30% off the life of your account, go to itpro.tv/datanauts and use the code DATANAUTS30.
Part 1 – A Riff On Full Stack Engineering
- When I say “full stack engineering” – what does this mean to you? Is it a marketing phrase or does it have real applications in modern data center operations?
- Let’s talk about your journey. What was your first entrance into the world of technology?
- Why did you choose that particular skill – or did it somehow choose you?
- At what point did you say “Gee, it’s time to expand my skills”?
Part 2 – What Are Organizations Looking For Today?
- Describe the tools you use today that make life easier for you and your team
- Do you use Git (distributed version control system) as an ops person?
- What value does it provide to Ops folks?
- How does it affect the cross-silo issue? Does it help bridge gaps from one tech silo to another?
- Is Git just something for devs?
- How did you learn it?
- Linux / Containers
- Do you use them (yet)? Why/Why Not?
- What are they good for?
- Containers vs VMs
- Open source projects
- Do you contribute?
- Is this difficult as a tech professional working for a public-facing company?
- Repo of choice? GitHub, BitBucket, etc.
- Why do you think so many folks like contributing to OSS?
Part 3 – How Does Tomorrow Look?
- Is the idea of a subject matter expert (SME) dead? Or will it be dead in the future?
- Should we focus on being a Jack of all Trades, Master of None?
- What skills are you working on for the future?
- Advice to professionals …
- Starting their tech career
- Mid-way through career and looking to find that “next new thing”
- Folks who want to pivot?
LISA’16 Conference: https://www.usenix.org/conference/lisa16