In the latest episode of IPv6 Buzz we examine IPv6 deployment among cable providers. We’ll discuss industry trends, dual-stack deployments, and how the cable industry is working to transition IPv4 out of the providers’ access and distribution networks.
- The status of IPv6 deployment among cable providers
- Why an IPv6-only network with IPv4 running as a service (IPv4aaS) is desirable for cable provider networks
- What prevents some cable providers from adopting IPv6
- The DOCSIS standard and why it’s important for IPv6
- Why a /56 IPv6 prefix is likely the best minimum size for home networks
Our guest is Dan Torbet, Director of Systems Engineering at ARRIS. He’s worked in the cable/MSO Internet industry for over 25 years.
Dan was an active participant in industry efforts around DOCSIS 3.0 and Modular CMTS specifications and has been a long time advocate of IPv6 adoption including as a very active Rocky Mountain IPv6 Task Force member and volunteer.
Thanks for listening!