Take a Network Break! Grab a coffee, a doughnut and then join us for an analysis of the latest IT news, vendor moves and new product announcements. We’ll separate the signal from the noise–or at least make some noise of our own.
Sponsor: Sonus Networks
This week’s show was sponsored by Sonus Networks. Sonus wants you to know that there is a better way to address business continuity with less cost, more flexibility, and increased management efficiency – a Software-Defined WAN (SD-WAN) powered by Sonus’ NaaS IQ. Ensure you know the differences between SD WAN business connectivity and SD WAN business continuity; visit Sonus at www.sonus.net or reach them at 1-855-GO-SONUS and tell them you heard about them on PacketPushers.
ONF Release Atrium To Drive SDN Adoption
From the press release:
Atrium 2015/A will be available by the end of June with the following:
- Documentation for installation, configuration, and operation
- A snapshot of ONOS verified to work with the white-box software stack as well as other vendor switches that have provided a driver for their pipeline
- A BGP peering application that runs on ONOS and includes the Quagga BGP stack
- A collection of OpenFlow v1.3 device drivers in ONOS, meant for talking to vendor equipment with different hardware pipelines
- Indigo OpenFlow client together with Open Network Linux and OFDPA for the OCP white-box switches
- Mininet with the use of Open vSwitch (OVS) to emulate the hardware pipelines of the switches involved; (hardware pipelines represent a sequence of match-action tables in an OpenFlow switch)
- Full testing suite for functionality tests
John Chambers Final CLUS Keynote
“Forty percent of businesses in this room, unfortunately, will not exist in a meaningful way in 10 years,” he told the 25,000 attendees, adding that 70% of companies would “attempt” to go digital but only 30% of those would succeed.
Cisco Enhances SDN Strategy and Offerings Across the Entire Nexus Portfolio with new VTS Automation Solution
- Programmable networks – “With Nexus and NX-OS Programmability across the entire portfolio, we deliver value to customers deploying a DevOps model for automating network configuration and management.”
- Programmable fabrics – “Overlay networks provide the foundation for scalable multi-tenant cloud networks. VXLAN, developed by Cisco along with other virtualization platform vendors, has emerged as the most widely-adopted multi-vendor overlay technology. In order to advance this technology further, a scalable and standards-based control plane mechanism such as BGP EVPN is required.”
- Application Centric policy – “Cisco will be able to offer the most complete solution on the Nexus 9000 series whether it is ACI policy-based automation or BGP EVPN-based overlay management. Customers will now have a choice for running an EVPN VXLAN controller in a traditional Nexus 9000 “standalone” mode, or to leverage ACI and the APIC controller with the full ACI application policy model, and integrated overlay and physical network visibility, telemetry and health scores.”
Cisco Won’t Blacklist Whitebox Switches
Chambers: “We will run our software across white boxes. We will run our software across everything over time. But again, we’re agnostic; we let the market determine which way it wants to go,” Chambers said. But he did add: “I think architectures win.”
reddit will soon only be available over HTTPS
Nearly 1 year ago we gave you the ability to view reddit completely over SSL. Now we’re ready to enforce that everyone use a secure connection with reddit. Please ensure that all of your scripts can perform all of their functions over HTTPS by June 29. At this time we will begin redirecting all site traffic to be over HTTPS and HTTP will no longer be available.
Google Cloud Platform Blog: A look inside Google’s Data Centre Networks –
We used three key principles in designing our datacenter networks:
- We arrange our network around a Clos topology, a network configuration where a collection of smaller (cheaper) switches are arranged to provide the properties of a much larger logical switch.
- We use a centralized software control stack to manage thousands of switches within the data center, making them effectively act as one large fabric.
- We build our own software and hardware using silicon from vendors, relying less on standard Internet protocols and more on custom protocols tailored to the data center.
Press Releases in Networking
Corsa Technology Announces SDN Metering and QoS – http://www.corsa.com/corsa-technology-announces-sdn-metering-and-qos/
Silver Peak Introduces Unity Edge Connect – http://www.silver-peak.com/news/press-releases/unity-edgeconnect-broadband-hybrid-wan-solution