On today’s Priority Queue, we discuss the idea of NSX Everywhere. VMware NSX is not a new topic on Packet Pushers. We’ve been covering NSX since Nicira was a startup, and kept up with its evolution over the years.
The last Priority Queue show we did with VMware was episode 56 on NSX in production. If you want to catch up with where NSX is at, you might want to listen to that show before you listen to this one.
This show is an evolution of the NSX story, bringing up the notion of using NSX Everywhere. Typically we think of NSX as a data center play; a centrally managed network overlay for network virtualization, micro-segmentation, and centrally managed firewall services.
Guido Appenzeller, Chief Technology Strategy Officer in the network and security business unit at VMware, joins Ethan and Greg in this sponsored podcast to talk about NSX’s capabilities for containers, the cloud, mobile devices, and more.
What We Discuss:
- How the conversation is changing from ‘What is SDN?’ to ‘Where will it make a difference in our organization?’
- NSX 6.2 updates, including support for containers and Amazon’s cloud
- Instantiating new features in software rather than hardware
- The impact of containers on networking and infrastructure
- How NSX and microsegmentation apply to container security
- Why hypervisors will still be relevant for containers
- Using NSX to help enforce mobile device policy
- Why separating policy from IP addressing makes sense