At Cisco Live 2012 in San Diego, we tweeted that anyone interested could gather at the Social Media Lounge to record a podcast with the Packet Pushers and No Strings Attached shows. Perhaps 20 people showed up at the beginning, but by the end I think double that number had wandered up and joined the crowd. The show was recorded by Blake Krone and me. We each had hand-held microphones and walked over to folks as they were speaking. There was a lot of good conversation and opinion, along with some laughs.
What We Discussed
- Is Cisco trying to redefine the SDN market with their “network programmability” approach?
- A Cisco app store & community to encourage onePK adoption seems necessary. Or should we (the networking community) build our own code exchange?
- Are you a programmer? What languages are your familiar with?
- Why is an API is better than SNMP?
- There are security concerns around community-based code sharing. What do we do about that?
- C & Java are the first languages to support onePK. What languages are next, and when?
- The Cisco Cloud Services Router: opinions & use-cases.
- Is there a license-limited version of CSR or some other IOS flavor coming so that engineers can build labs in a Cisco-sanctioned way?
- Will onePK introduce a whole new class of bugs? What about bugs introduced by users writing their own apps?
- BreakingPoint – cool product seen on the CLUS “World of Solutions” show floor.
- CCDE & CCAr: why is a CCIE not a prerequisite?
- CiscoLive365.com – the place to get video and slide presentations from Cisco Live.
- “Simple is stable.” – Marko Milivojevic
- “You should not care where your workload sits.” – Omar Sultan
- “Complexity goes against robustness.” – Tony Mattke
- “You can take a unicorn to water, but you can’t make it drink.” – Omar Sultan
- “When it comes to certifications, it’s time we stop drawing a pyramid, and start drawing a tree.” – Brandon Carroll
- “CCIE is not really that difficult. All you have to do is not fail the test.” – Marko Milivojevic
Voices (in order of appearance)
- Ethan Banks (co-host for this show)
- Colin McNamara@colinmcnamaracolinmcnamara.com
- Tom Hollingsworth@networkingnerdnetworkingnerd.net
- Blake Krone (co-host for this show)
- Justin (no last name given)
- Darrel Clute@darrelclutedarrelclute.net
- Jennifer Huber@jenniferlucillejenniferhuber.blogspot.com
- Ben Story@ntwrk80showbrain.blogspot.com
- Kellen Christensen@kdc824christekit.com
- Tony Mattke@tonherouterjockey.com
- Omar Sultan (Senior Manager for Emerging Technologies, Cisco)
- Greg Ferro@etherealmindetherealmind.com
- Marko Milivojevic@icemarkomblog.markom.info
- Christopher Church@layer_3layer3.wordpress.com
- Tristan Rhodes@tristanbob
- Brandon Carroll@brandoncarrollbrandonjcarroll.com
There’s a few of you I missed because we didn’t get an intro from you when recording. You know who you are, so if you want to be listed, please let me know!