Talking with Senior Engineers from University Campus in the US with tens to hundreds of thousands of Ethernet ports, and up to 50 000 wireless clients.What are the technology challenges of managing such huge networks. Not only do these networks handle student and academic traffic, but they also have commercial aspects including hospitals.
- Vendor Interoperability and heterogeneous networking in a large environment
- Attempting to manage thousands of edge ports efficiently
- Reasons to avoid proprietary protocols and solutions.
- Network management and provisioning tools.
- Logical and physical campus network designs for core, * distribution, access and data centers.
- VLANs and VRFs for path isolation.
- MPLS vs. static mapping of VRFs.
- Network vendor hardware pros and cons in the campus.
- Remote site connectivity and designs.
- Peering into regional networks and commercial carriers.
- Firewall and security policies in the data center and Internet edge.
- 100GB Ethernet connections.
- CDN peering to optimize and offload software updates at scale.
Chris Johnson – @bytesofchris bytesofchris.com