What We Discuss
- What should the reference bandwidth be set to?
- How big of an integer does OSPF use to store the cost metric?
- When should your OSPF design assume one area?
- Does that old guideline of “50 routers in an area” still hold true?
- When is it wise to split an OSPF domain into multiple areas?
- The differences between what you’re taught in a certification program and reality.
- How does route summarization play into OSPF area design?
- OSPFv3 & IPv6: how are real-world deployments going?
- Timer and tweaks and oscillations – oh, my!
- Why using Bidirectional Forwarding Detection (BFD) is better than tweaking OSPF timers.
- Darren’s blog
- Paul’s blog
- Derick’s blog (on Packet Pushers)
- OSPF: Anatomy of an Internet Routing Protocol by John Moy (Amazon)
- Cisco OSPF Design Guide
- Wikipedia on OSPF
- Jeff Doyle’s “Favorite Interview Question” (explains why interarea OSPF traffic must traverse the backbone area)
- RFC5880 – Bidirectional Forwarding Detection (BFD)