I think that the time for Network Diagrams is coming to a close.
- It takes large amounts of time ( and thus money) to produce diagrams.
- Maintaining diagrams is difficult, costly and something that should be automated.
- Networks are not static today. Overlays, IPsec Tunnels, VMs, virtual appliances. How can a diagram stay up to date with manual changes.
- A diagram is better than nothing but anything is better than a diagram.
- Who extracts value from a diagram ? Executives, project managers ? (Of course, you do but mostly that a by product of writing it down)